NOAA Workforce Management Office
Serving NOAA's Most Valuable Asset - People
Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF) at NOAA
Do you have your eOPF ID and logon instructions? If not, contact us
The Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF) is an E-Government initiative, mandated by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for all Executive Branch agencies, and administered by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). eOPF offers a secure, standard approach for personnel records conversion, storage, access, sharing, and archiving. NOAA's Workforce Management Office (WFMO) is collaborating with the Department of Commerce (DOC) and the OPM to fully implement the features of eOPF.
eOPF allows employees online access to their own individual folder through a secure Internet connection. To help ensure optimal protection of your personal data, as of Fall 2007, users must access the system with a PC on a federal network using an authorized, registered IP address.
NOAA has worked towards converting and maintaining each employee's OPF from paper records to an electronic file in three stages:
- The first stage began in January 2006 when our payroll/personnel service provider, the National Finance Center (NFC), began sending data feeds of our personnel transactions, SF-50s, Notification of Personnel Actions, to the eOPF system. Personnel transactions are loaded into eOPF every two weeks (pay day week) after the pay period closes out on NFC.
- The second stage was the conversion scanning into eOPF to make the paper file an electronic record. This stage was completed in April 2008 for all NOAA- serviced organizations, except NWS, NOS and NESDIS which were completed in August 2010. Conversion scanning enables employees to see their entire eOPF online.
- The third phase is the ongoing scanning of official documents. On a continuing basis, forms that are not electronic are scanned into the system. Examples are: enter-on-duty forms, updated benefits election forms, beneficiary forms, military service records, and authorization memos and forms. This scanning is managed by the servicing WFMO staff office.
Some of the benefits of e-OPF include:
- You can monitor your own records for accuracy;
- You can print documents that you need;
- Your eOPF continues to protect your privacy. Access is limited to authorized personnel. There is no change in policy regarding who has authority to access your OPF;
- Your eOPF is more secure than a paper file and fulfills an important role in Continuity of Operations (COOP).
Additional eOPF information and guidance:
We hope you have a good experience with the eOPF system and welcome your feedback.
Page last edited: June 12, 2014