NOAA Workforce Management Office
Serving NOAA's Most Valuable Asset - People
The Time-Off Award is an alternative to the Cash-in-Your-Account and Special Act Awards. This award is an excused absence granted without charge to leave or loss of pay.
All NOAA employees are eligible for this award except:
- Officers appointed by the President by and with the
advice and consent of the Senate, or by the President alone,
to positions for which rates of basic compensation may exceed the maximum rate provided in the General Schedule
- Employees who do not have a regular, established tour
of duty prescribed in advance (i.e., employees who are intermittent)
- Employees paid on a fee basis
- NOAA Corps Officers
- Senior Executives
- A full-time employee may receive as few as 4 hours (half
day) and as many as 40 hours of excused leave per award.
A full-time employee may not receive in excess of 80 hours
in Time-Off Awards per leave year.
- A part-time or an employee with an uncommon tour of duty
may not exceed the average number of hours of work in the
employee's biweekly scheduled tour of duty.
- The minimum time-off award is a half day (half of the scheduled
work hours for the employee on the day of the excused
absence). If the employee's work day is not an even number
of hours, the half day must be rounded up so that the amount of leave granted is in multiples of one-hour units.
- Time off granted as an award must be scheduled and taken within 1 year after the effective date of the award. Scheduling time off is subject to supervisory approval.
authority to approve time-off awards is delegated to heads
of LOs/SOs. This authority may be redelegated in writing
to any leave approving official.**EXCEPTION: Per
DAO 202-451, award periods in excess of one full duty day
must be reviewed and approved by an official higher in the
organization than the award initiator.
To submit a Time-Off Award, use Form CD-326lf
- The amount of time should be indicated
under Item 8, "Narrative." This block also must contain a brief but specific description of
the reason for the award. The CD-326 is then signed by
the recommending and emailed to the appropriate address listed below. A copy of the award must be placed int he EPF.
Submission to Workforce Management Office
- Place a copy in the EPF and send a signed version via email to the appropriate address listed below.The email subject line must say:“Time-Off – [Employee Last Name].”
- Attach the Time-Off form (CD-326lf) to the email
- Save document and forward as an email attachment to Awards@noaa.gov.
The justification need not be extensive, but adequate documentation
- what is significant about the achievement;
- the scope and extent of the achievement, and the amount of
savings, if any;
- clear indication of how the achievement exceeds normal performance expectations;
- impact of the achievement on work, goals, and/or mission of the organization;
- magnitude of the achievement in relation to the employee's job
responsibility (degree of ingenuity reflected); or
- period of time covered by the award.
Page last edited: February 13, 2012